Sunday, April 10, 2011

Nothing But Soap

I have to tell you about this new product I tried. I have been struggling with hard water in my dishwasher and couldn't find anything that would take away the white filmy residue left on my dishes after running my dishwasher. I tried every different kind of soap I could find, even this additive that claimed to remove the hard water build up. I was kind of nervous about this product because it said it would remove the paint from your dishes! Fortunately, I came across this wonderful Etsy seller Amber from Nothing But Soap , with an incredible eco friendly product. I have to admit, I was skeptical at first, because I have tried many eco friendly products only to find that they don't work. But this is different! I am so excited to unload my dishwasher, my dishes are clean! And the best part is that it is all natural and I don't have to worry about my dishes passing on toxins to our food. Amber has created a whole line of eco friendly products. I had the pleasure to interview her and I want to share her story.

 Nothing But Soap, 
 Owner Amber Perks



Please tell us a little bit about yourself, your shop and your products.
  I'm married, with two children ages 9 and 6. Up until November 2010, I worked full time in a cubical. Cubical life was not for me and I started trying to find something that I could be good at and love. In May of 2010 Nothing But Soap was born. I was able to take an idea and make it a full time job. I've been committed to making all natural cleaning products. My goal is not not only have a natural product that works, I want people to say "WOW, this is the best product I have ever tried" Everything that I make has been tested, over and over to make sure that it's the very best that I can offer. I sell on-line (etsy and my own website) participate in many local craft shows and sell my products in 13 retail locations. 


What inspired you to create your own cleaning products and how long have you been doing it?
  In January 2010 I went to a yoga retreat up at Snowbird (A ski resort in Utah) with my wonderful Mother In Law. Our wonder yoga teacher is a raw foodist. I had never heard of such a thing, and for lunch they offered the most wonderful, filling, and healthy meal. After the class I decided to learn more about this way of life. Our yoga teacher that day was so beautiful and had such a good vibe. I thought "hey! I want some of what she is having!" I went to the library and started reading up on what was in our everyday food and products. Things that I had no idea were terrible, I was finding out were toxic. Late one night it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was about 11 pm and I told my husband that I had an idea and needed to go to the store. I left and bought everything that I thought I would need to make my own cleaning products. The internet makes it out to be so easy! So I knew for sure that I could do it. Well, let me be the first to say that the internet lies! I soon found out that making my own products was VERY difficult! The soap was not dissolving, my dishwashing soap was fogging up glasses, and my scrub was one big chunk that could break a window! I had told some people that I was trying to make my own products and every one of them asked if they could buy it. I actually had my first show booked before I even had a logo built. I stayed up late every night trying to get my soap to work. The night before my first show I finally got my laundry soap to dissolve in hard water. That was one fine moment! Over the next few months I worked on getting my products perfected. I almost gave up on a dishwashing soap, we have very hard water and I was so tired of having to soak all my glasses because I was fogging them up. Not to mention all my friends and family that were testing it out as well. I knew that they hated calling me to tell me that it was not working. After months and months, I finally came up with a formula that works. Now my dishwashing soap is one of my best sellers and it's so nice to have people come up and thank me for finally offering a natural product that worked. Everyday I get to wake up and know that I'm doing what I love for a living. I get to see my kids more, work from home and participate in shows that put me around the most amazing people. I love what I do, and I hope that it shows in the products that I create.  

How do your products differ from the typical store bought products?
  All commercial products are loaded with harmful chemicals. Even the ones that claim to be natural or green are not natural. I have even found that most handmade products that are sold on line still contain artificial fragrance. I pride myself in making a truly all natural product. Everything I make has been researched for safety and made with the very best intentions.  

Tell us one simple thing that you think everyone could or should do to help protect the environment.
  If everyone changed even one cleaning item in their home i.e., laundry soap, dishwashing soap, etc. Billions of gallons of water would be free of harmful chemicals once it reached the ocean.  

Please tell us how we can purchase your products. 
  My products can be purchased on-line at www.etsy.com/people/scrubnaturally or www.scrubnaturally.com follow me on facebook to know when I offer new products, and run specials. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nothing-But-Soap/134822133199121

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment